the very educated old man...

Posted by nel under
I went to Coop, a supermarket nearby to buy some groceries to cook for lunch.  I was at the cashier and there was this old man, asking me not to take over his place on queue as he was going to take something else.  I obeyed his so called instruction but the counter was already cleared as the lady in front has done her payment.   The guy didn't turn up so another lady on queued behind me asked me to go ahead.  I was in the midst unloading some of my groceries when suddenly the old man returned and was really angry. He talked in Italian saying I told you I would go first... such an uneducated people...and he went on mumbling.  The sad thing was, as how 'multi-skills' he was, together with his cranky & peevish looks, grumpy, bubbling,  he removed all the things I put on the conveyor belt at the counter. 

On seeing at what he did, the old lady in front of me responded, to back me up. There was another lady in the queue who suddenly came forward and talked something to back me up too. This time I just couldn't absorb all words because upon hearing too much Italian words at the same time especially when words were sped up, I would simply get 'dizzy'. The cashier was saying that, look at this lady (pointing at me) she's so calm and why are you get mad. She was supposed to pay first and bla..bla...bla... Later there were some mouth-fighting ensued among them. The old man even mentioned to the old lady in front,  challenging her to call the Police to arrest him if he was wrong.  

I didn't say any words. I was totally mum. Not a single word even though I was pissed off. I just couldn't say anything not only I was shocked but it was due to my poor command of that language :(.  Now I regretted very much for not having mastered the language well for the period of my stay here. A golden opportunity has been wasted so easily :( *sigh*. I now realize words such as come stai, tutto bene, grazie, bella, bello  and those nicest words couldn't help in an aggravated situation like this. I just waited my turn to pay and stuffed all the things I bought and left. He wanted to pay before me but at the end I was the one who finished stuffing my groceries. At the time I left, he was still at the counter putting all his groceries in the plastic bag.  

On my way home, I felt like I wanted to cry, regretted very much why didn't I say something. At the counter I wanted to say like 'although I don't speak good Italian but I understand it and don't simply say people are not educated' but the fact is  I didn't.  How I wish my loved ones was there.  I am sure he could have defended me...uwaaaa... but he's just too far :(  How I wish at least people I know like Salma or Giulia were with me too as they could have uttered something to the old man. I am not that so vocal compared to them. Sometimes I can be outspoken too but only with the right language. How I wish I have said something showing that I am not that stupid. I don't mean to be rude to the old man but he was so damn rude to me and I think there are times, things should be reciprocated as the same way as it was. I didn't mean  to challenge him either but just to say to his face that if he thinks he's really a well educated people, he should not remove my things from the conveyor belt in the first place. I didn't buy 10 trolley of groceries either for him to get mad at me.  The reality is, I just couldn't come out with good words to tell him. With my mediocre level of Italian, he might not understand what I said and I might not understand what would I be uttering too. 

I bet the people on the scene were either sympathized at me or bewildered as there was not even a single word articulated from my side although how rude the man was! I wouldn't say I acted normal though.  There was not even a long and sullen face, what more looking so grumpy and mumbling! On a second thought I guess it is such a futile act to fight with someone who thought he's well educated but in fact he is indeed a silly person.  It's better too I didn't say anything to this  'very-well-educated-old-man', otherwise I could have pulled myself down to his level and insulted my intelligence :p. The way I observed, he could have been a crazy man even not to the brink of a completely silly one yet but the sign towards it is apparent. His action speaks for itself  - he is on his way to that level :p 

Knowing myself so well, I could easily turn myself into an incredible hulk - (a woman version) and utter all those bad words if something really pissed me off to the core but surprisingly, this afternoon I didn't.  I thank God for that, otherwise it could have worsen the situation.  I thank God too I didn't learn how to say bad things in Italian yet or else I could be the one arrested by the Police instead of him! 

0 comments: