What are hinava, bambangan and tuhau? The Kadazandusun Murut people are well versed of these traditional food (hinava) and pickles. Hinava is made of fish, usually salmon which marinated with salt, sugar, slices of red chillies, onion and ginger and sprinkle with limes (limau kasturi) or vinegar. Hinava can be made at anytime but bambangan dan tuhau need to be fermented for maybe at least 2 weeks. Normally bambangan and tuhau can only be found in Sabah (correct me if I'm wrong).
So last nite, Jacque and I were at the venue of AF4 somewhere in Shah Alam, to deliver these Sabahan delicacies to one of the AF4 contestants, Velvet Lawrence Aduk. We supposed to arrive there at 8pm but due to the heavy traffic in KL as it was raining heavily so we were late. Felix and Marsha visited the Akademi in the evening. We were still on the road when Felix called up informing me that they were about to leave the place.
She deeply missed the food so the family asked our assistance to deliver them to her. Unfortunately we were lost for about 1 hour hahahaha... Actually we're at the area already but were trying hard to find the landmarks given. Since it was so dark, we missed them several times which actually were just next to us. After 1 hour 'touring' the area, finally we reached the place. It was unlucky for us because the students have just finished their classes so we didn't have the chance to watch them at the control room. Well we're a bit lucky, the moment we entered the Akademi, we bumped into Dr. Fadzley with his Tae-Kwan-Do attire, they had just finished that particular session.After chit chatting for a while with the staff there, we left the place and headed to KL. Before sending Jacque home, we dropped by at my favourite sup tulang stall for our dinner. It was a tiring journey but in a way it was such a good experience to be at the venue of the all AF4 students are being put.
By the way hinava, bambangan and tuhau are somewhat a must-have for most of us especially for myself. I have quite 'loads' of bambangan and tuhau at home. These two things are the most important list everytime I go back to Sabah. For me, bambangan and fried salted fish can be good enough as appetizers. It would be tasteless not to have either bambangan or tuhau in my meal. So I do understand Velvet's condition pertaining to this :D
By the way hinava, bambangan and tuhau are somewhat a must-have for most of us especially for myself. I have quite 'loads' of bambangan and tuhau at home. These two things are the most important list everytime I go back to Sabah. For me, bambangan and fried salted fish can be good enough as appetizers. It would be tasteless not to have either bambangan or tuhau in my meal. So I do understand Velvet's condition pertaining to this :D
Tuhau, Bambangan and Hinava


0 comments: